Hard Disk is one of the most integral things for any Windows PC and the more optimized it is, the more smoothly and fast the PC performs. Whatever we install or download or save on our Windows 10 PC, it gets stored on the hard drive. The latest Windows PCs now come with Terabytes of hard drive space which we all think will never fill up fully.
On the contrary, we blindly stuff our Windows 10 PCs with all sorts of important and unimportant data that keeps lurking in every possible corner of the hard disk. Sadly what happens is, the hard disk storage starts to clutter and fills up eventually. When this happens, the time taken to compute any command or function increases, the PC starts to hang more often, it starts to behave abnormally, and even face crashes.
Many ways are using which one can easily free up hard drive space. Some people like to go with the manual process and others simply install a third-party application and let the software do the work.
In this article, we will discuss both the ways using which you can free up disk space.
Let’s discuss the manual processes first:
1. Clear the Recycle Bin:
We all think that moving the data to Recycle Bin deletes it and recovers precious disk space. On the contrary, it does not get removed permanently and sits there eating up the hard disk space. Hence, to remove the data permanently, we should know how to delete the data from Recycle Bin. To do so,
- On your Windows PC, look for the Recycle Bin option on the Home Page.
- Click on the Recycle Bin icon to open it.
- Once opened, click on the Empty the Recycle Bin option on the top-left corner.
- Click on Yes to confirm and permanently delete the data present in the Recycle Bin.
2. Run Disk Cleanup:
Windows Operating System comes with a built-in disk cleaning tool using which you can easily remove the temporary files and all other data which is unimportant.
To do so:
- In the Start Menu type Disk Cleanup.
- From the Disk Properties window look for the option that says Disk Cleanup and click on it.
- From the next window look for the kind of files, you want to remove. This includes all kinds of files like temporary files, log files, cache files, etc.
- Checkmark the kind of files you want to delta and click on OK.
- You can also choose to remove the System Files if required from here.
Disk Cleanup feature lets you free up disk space to a great extent and restore precious disk space.
3. Remove Unwanted Applications:
Disk space gets filled up with all sorts of applications that become useless after being used just a handful number of times. Hence, it becomes important that we uninstall or remove all such programs from our Windows PC regularly to manage the hard drive space and have a smoothly performing Windows PC.
4. Find And Delete Duplicate Files:
Who does not want to preserve their important data and memories? However, in doing so we all tend to copy the same data and images at multiple locations thereby making the data redundant and wasting hard disk space.
We must keep free up disk space by managing duplicate files and data. We can also choose to use a third-party application like Duplicate Photos Fixer or Duplicate Files fixer to do the needful. These applications are not only effective but also are extremely easy to use.
5. Move Files, Images, Other Data To Cloud Storage or External Drive:
Another good method to restore hard disk space is to save the data, images, other information either Cloud Storage or to an External Drive. Cloud Storage is not only an advanced means to save data but is also secure and can be accessed from anywhere, anytime, and using any device.
6. Disable Hibernation:
Hibernation is a highly advanced feature that lets you save the current session so that whenever you open your Windows 10 PC the next time, the Operating System can easily take up the saved session.
While this is an important feature, it also eats us a huge amount of hard disk space in order to save the session. If you are looking for different means of how to free up disk space on the Windows 10 PC, disabling the Hibernation feature can also prove beneficial. To do so,
- On the Start Menu type Command Prompt.
- From the pop-up list, right-click on the Command Prompt option and then select the option that says Run as administration.
- This will open Command Prompt with all the admin rights.
- Type “powercfg /hibernate off” in the Command Prompt.
- After doing so, the Hibernation mode will be disabled and you will be able to free up precious disk space.
7. Use Advanced System Optimizer:
Advanced System Optimizer by Systweak Software is a system tweaking utility that can greatly enhance the performance of your system. It includes 25+ tools to improve and tweak your PC’s performance. This utility has some amazing modules which can let you do the following:
- Registry Cleaner to clean and optimize registry entries.
- Advanced System Protector that helps fight app kinds of malware/spyware infections.
- Junk File Cleaner scans and deletes junk files to free up disk space.
- Memory Optimizer to optimize and manage Windows 10 memory.
- Let you view the System Information.
- Removes redundant data using Duplicate Files Remover and frees up hard drive space.
- System Files Backup to take an entire backup of the Windows 10 system.
- Safe Uninstaller to uninstall unwanted programs and restore precious disk space.
- Encrypt files and folders using File Encryption
- Deletes data securely using Secure Delete
- Makes notes using Sticky Notes
- Manage Startup programs using the Startup Manager module.
- Keep all the drivers up-to-date using the Driver Updater module and enhance the overall functioning of the Windows 10 PC.
With all such amazing features not only Advanced System Optimizer is a boon to your poorly performing PC, but it is also the Best junk file cleaner for your windows.
With all such amazing functions and features, Advanced System Optimizer not only gives a new life to your Windows 10 PC, but it also frees up hard drive space to restore previous hard disk space