With the invention of smartphones, steady growth is witnessed in mobile apps’ development from established brands to startups and entrepreneurs. And the count is continuously increasing with each passing day. It showcases the future of mobile app development is bright and has lots of scope with the introduction of the latest technology frameworks and programming languages.
Mobile apps serve a large share of the audience globally. Therefore having mobile apps is necessary today for almost every business. But when deciding to build a mobile app for your business, you may face issues like choosing the right technology and the best programming language out of the myriad of options available in the market.
Therefore we have crafted a list of best programming languages for mobile app development, including multiple factors, their pros, and cons, which will help you choose the best fit considering your project requirements and budget.
So let’s start with!!
Kotlin is a renowned coding language that is known for developing modern Android applications. This statically-typed programming language is said to be the advanced version of Java. Kotlin is widely accepted as one of the best programming languages for mobile app development. The programming language has the capability to influence other languages like Java for the development of robust and dynamic apps. Some popular apps developed using Kotlin, such as Coursera, Trello, Evernote, and many more.
Pros of Kotlin:
- Improved efficiency, thanks to programming language’s clear, concise and perceptive syntax
- Kotlin’s interoperable and versatile nature makes it a preferable option over JAVA.
- Support from Google and IDE’s installation packages facilitates SDK toolkit and Android development.
- Kotlin utilizes clean, concise, and simple code as compared to JAVA.
Cons of Kotlin:
- Kotlin has a steep learning curve, not meant for beginners.
- Limited resources are available for learning.
- Kotlin gets slower sometimes.
- It is quick to browse on the client-side and doesn’t need to compile it.
- There’s no standard set of guidelines to use it and allows top-notch modification.
- You may face issues for client-scripts while server-side scripts always provide the same output.
C# or ‘C-sharp’ is an object-oriented programming language that is majorly used for developing mobile apps, particularly for the development of cross-platform mobile apps and windows apps. The programming language avails you with all the possibilities you look for using other programming languages like Java, Swift, and Objective-C coding languages. C# is one of the best options available for the development of an interactive and high-performance game app.
Pros of C#
- It is an easy-to-use programming language that allows developers to develop and deploy applications as soon as possible.
- C# is one of the most preferred programming languages due to its outstanding characteristics like imperative, declarative, functional, component-oriented and object-oriented disciplines.
- It is a general-purpose programming language that is simple and leveraged with modern capabilities.
Cons of C#
- C# is a complex programming language that is not easy to learn for beginners.
- It is a case-sensitive language. Therefore, the coder needs to be aware because a slight miss-match between alphabets can create confusion.
Like C#, C++ is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language. One of the upstanding choices for mobile app development, C++, enables Android apps and Native apps with ease. The language is best for game development, banking apps, GUI-based applications, real-time mathematical simulations, etc. C++ is highly preferred for cloud computing apps, and the language is capable of adapting to changing hardware or ecosystems.
Pros of C++
- Developing code with C++ is so quick and stable as it provides a wide variety of ready-to-use in-built libraries and compilers.
- Developers who have experience working on C++ can easily learn C, C#, Java.
- App development with C++ gives you complete control, and the developed app can be accessed on any platform and utilize any hardware.
Cons of C++
- C++ uses complex syntax to write code, and it possesses a small standard library.
- It is not easy to master this programming language.
- Don’t allow garbage collection or dynamic memory allocation.
Python is a programming language that supports the development of web apps, desktop apps, machine learning, network server, media tools, and much more. The coding language enables developers to develop and deploy applications with capabilities like extended library support, robust integration, and complete control. With such capabilities, the programming language is in high demand among start-ups looking for app development. Some famous examples of applications built using Python are Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest.
Pros of Python:
- Python is an easy-to-use and quick to learn programming language. It allows faster development and deployment of applications with its clean, concise coding.
- It is a high-level programming language that supports analyzing, computing scientific and numeric data, and software development.
- Python offers several programming flexible frameworks.
- It gives cross-platform support for different systems and platforms.
- It allows for developing scalable apps and GUI-based applications.
Cons of Python:
- The execution speed is quite slow.
- Not favorable for the development of modern mobile applications
- Not efficient with the memory-intensive tasks.
- Even faces issues with data access as well.
Swift is an open-source programming language that focuses on developing applications and software for iOS, OS X, and tvOS platforms. It is fun to work with Swift as the programming language offers flexible and scalable development of applications with added new features. Here are some examples of popular apps developed using Swift. Likewise, Hipmunk, Linkedin, Lyft, and others.
Pros of Swift
- It is an easy-to-learn, powerful, and intuitive programming language.
- It Supports Cocoa and Cocoa Touch platforms.
- Swift requires less maintenance.
- It uses expressive yet concise syntax that makes fun to write code in Swift.
- Easy to develop scalable projects with Swift.
Cons of Swift:
- Currently, the scripting language is in its nascent stage therefore
- Developers consider Swift an unstable language because it is new in the market and requires regular updates to strengthen its position among other famous programming languages.
If you are looking for mobile app development and confused about choosing the best programming language? As mentioned above, the list of most preferred programming languages will help you select the best fit for your business app. Here you can compare these languages considering their pros and cons; and their availability for your project requirements.