While battling against the COVID-19 pandemic, the world has realized the value of health and fitness like never before. Though many people used to go to the health clubs and do workouts regularly even before the coronavirus outbreak, the recent troubling time has significantly increased the importance of staying fit.
As we are struggling to return to normalcy in this quarantine phase, health and fitness apps can assist us strongly. This is a reason why fitness tracking app development gains ground globally. However, the fitness app development process has to face many challenges and advancing technology can help app developers mitigate these challenges.
Let’s dig deep into the top fitness app development trends. But, before moving there, here we mention the top challenges of fitness app development.
Top Challenges of Fitness App Development Domain
- Data Security- It is the top concern for every industry and the fitness sector is no exception. The user’s confidential data including height, weight, and sugar level need to be protected from being leaked, and the fitness app development company has to take enough precautions while developing such an app.
- User-friendliness- The health and fitness sector is highly competitive, and therefore, it is necessary to build a simple and user-friendly app with unique features. Whether you own a startup or run an established fitness agency, your app should have an elegant UI/UX design to attract more people to your app.
- USPs (Unique Selling Points)- Some of the best USPs should be integrated into the fitness app to make the app more user-friendly and capable of drawing people’s attention.
Technology trends can effectively address all these and other challenges. Here we mention some of the top trends for developing a future-ready fitness app in the year 2021 and beyond.
Key Fitness App Development Trends to Watch in 2021
- Wearable Technology- Today, wearables in the health and fitness sector are not limited to fitness trackers. Advancing wearable technology brings feature-rich devices that can measure vital parameters of the users and enable them to share through smart devices or fitness apps. Statista has predicted that the number of wearable devices will be double in the year 2022. It is, therefore, necessary for the fitness app development company to build an app that can seamlessly connect to various wearables.
Fitness app developers can use special tools like Garmin and Fitbit or SDKs provided by Apple and Google to make apps compatible with various wearable devices.
- VR and AR- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) technologies are swiftly getting mainstreamed across various sectors including the healthcare sector. These emerging technologies have a lot of potential for the health and fitness sector. One of the most promising uses of VR in the custom fitness app is users can get lifelike workout training and practices. Both these technologies can provide the app users highly personalized, seamless, and immersive experience. App developers can integrate gamification features based on AR and VR technology to keep users motivated for workouts while making sessions more interesting and interactive.
Fitness fanatics and sportspersons can gauge their performance including heart rate, elapsed time, and the like using features based on AR technology.
- Streaming Services- Nowadays, fitness apps are designed to offer access to online fitness training programs. This trend is here to stay with the integration of in-app streaming services. In the year 2021 and beyond, we will see digital trainer apps that will show live or recorded training sessions. Users can see them at a convenient time. Fitness apps with built-in streaming services successfully eliminate the need for visiting the health club or fitness centers.
Also, there is no need to schedule a meeting with a trainer to learn particular exercises as the users can easily learn various exercises by looking at videos. A fitness app with streaming services can be more cost-effective, convenient, and efficient than a fitness studio.
- AI and ML- We live in the age of virtual assistants. Siri, Alexa, and Cortana have taken the world by storm as more people tend to rely on them for various tasks. Talking about the fitness sector, AI can act as a virtual trainer and guide the app users for maintaining the perfect shape. AI-powered virtual trainers can provide home training in a personalized way. In the coming days, we will see the prevalence of AI-based assistance in fitness apps globally.
Be it a fitness tracking app like Fitbit, yoga and meditation apps, exercise and workout app, or nutrition monitoring app, it is of utmost importance to integrate innovative features based on these trends to build a robust and feature-rich fitness app.
All these trends can give customized fitness apps an edge over other apps. There is no exaggeration in mentioning that fitness apps with basic features or glitches in performance will be thrown out as the market grows and competition intensifies over the period. A futuristic fitness app should have all the necessary features integrated to stay relevant for a long time.